Fight Like Apes -- 'Lightsabre Cocksucking Blues'
I'm going to see Fight Like Apes tonight, at least partly because they've got the good sense to cover Mclusky songs. Like this one, from the epic Mclusky Do Dallas. Fight Like Apes' singer Maykay doesn't give the lyrics quite as much venom as Mclusky yowler Falco did, but she turns the whole song into a hysterical, drunken rant so it still works. Also: props to the bassist, drummer and keyboard player, who do manage to match the visciousness of the original, without the aid of guitars.
Mclusky -- 'Lightsabre Cocksucking Blues'
The Mclusky version is still the best though, if only for the way Falco delivers that final "I'm fearful I'm fearful I'm fearful of flying/And flying is fearful of me!"
Speaking of the great man himself, it's good to know he still finds time to play this song with his new band:
Future of the Left -- 'Lightsabre Cocksucking Blues'
Future of the Left are a harder and more precise group than Mclusky, for the most part. Or at least, they seem to take their cues from the more brutal and riffy material from the last Mclusky album, rather than from the earlier, punkier material. Still, the way FotL rip through 'Lightsabre Cocksucking Blues' shows that they've got the same spiteful pop spirit as their predecessor band, and their use of the keyboard as a hateful instrument brings us back round to Fight Like Apes.
Ain't life grand?
Anyway, food now, then out. More later in the week? Maybe.
- Los Campesinos! -- 'Death to Los Campesinos!'
- Pantheon Weekend -- Roots Manuva
- Pantheon Weekend -- Will Ashon
- Pantheon Weekend -- Dave Gibbons
- Pantheon Weekend -- Battles
- Pantheon Weekend -- Marnie Stern
- Pantheon Weekend -- Sleater-Kinney
- Lust For Life
- The Sea
- PJ Harvey -- 'You Come Through'
- A Simple Distinction
- Who Watches The Watchmen? And Who Really Still Gi...
- Pantheon Weekend -- Cameron Stewart
- Pantheon Weekend -- Michel Gondry
- Pantheon Weekend -- Chuck D
- Pantheon Weekend -- David Fiore
- Pantheon Weekend -- Kathleen Hanna
- Pantheon Weekend -- Fugazi
- Pantheon Weekend -- Samantha Morton and Kathleen M...
- Pantheon Weekend -- Angela Carter
- Pantheon Weekend -- Roland Barthes
- Pantheon Weekend -- Steve Albini
- Pantheon Weekend -- PJ Harvey
- Pantheon Weekend -- Mclusky
- "In the end/ Everybody wins/ As long as we remembe...
- "All good people can waltz"
- Lightsabre Cocksucking Blues
- From the Wasteland to Under Construction
- ▼ March (28)
- ► 2008 (102)