Sunday, 1 March 2009

From the Wasteland to Under Construction


Ok, so I'm in the middle of my seventh and final Filth essay, which has expanded to cover issues #7-13 of the comic. I hadn't initially planned to finish writing about the series this way, but when I started to write about issues #7 & 8 it became obvious that the last half of the series demanded to be considered as a whole. The original idea was to have the essay posted by the end of February, but I'd rather make it good than timely, so check back on Monday if you're interested.

There might be one or two short updates this week, but if that's not enough to keep you occupied then there's always this excerpt from David Foster Wallace's unfinished novel, The Pale King. I have mixed feelings about this -- there's always something ghoulish about the business of releasing an dead artist's unreleased work, but I can't even begin to pretend that I don't want to read this. Especially since it promises to really dive into the themes covered in DFW's Kenyon Commencement address, which... yeah, look: all squeamishness aside, I'm going to be obsessing over this book until it comes out in 2010.

(Via Gawker)

2 comments:

Duncan said...

Don't talk to me about ghoulish - I just checked out Bolano's doorstopper 2666 out the library which, apparently, either i) so consumed him he failed to get liver treatments and therefore actively killed him or ii) was written in full foreknowledge of, and evidently *somewhat* coloured by, impending death. Or, I suppose, both.

Hurray!

Didn't actually know there was post-mortem DFW due, so thx. I guess.

David said...

Nae worries big man!

I think you "win" in the ghoulishness stakes, but it's a close one!

And hey, you've been doing some damned good work over on Mindless Ones recently -- I've been trying to articulate a response to your post on comic book languages but basic English sentances seem to be confusing me at the moment, so... yeah, later. Once I've slept.