Thursday, 4 December 2008

"Who's responsible?/YOU FUCKING ARE!"

Manic Street Preachers -- The Holy Bible


So… hi, howsit going? I know it’s been a while now (5 yrs?), but I saw the news and realised that there’s still no one else I could discuss it with.

You always said you liked The Holy Bible best, but I never believed you. It was another perfect example of how condescending I could be, and we both knew it, but you always seemed more like an Everything Must Go girl to me. You even enjoyed This Is My Truth… for fuck's sake! I’m still not sure what to make of Richey’s disappearance, but his family have declared him dead now, so maybe it’s time we let go? The Holy Bible demands as much, after all; it’s an album that cuts through thoughts, words, books, icons and feelings just to show that it can. It’s as hard and clean and functional as a knife, but the problem is that a lot of its users don’t know when to stop. I didn’t, once, but you always did. Sometimes I feel like maybe that album should have been called Everything Must Go, rather than the next one. Maybe people would have understood the music better that way. Maybe they would have used it rather than romanticised it, you know?

Does this make sense?
Do we even care?

Anyway, it’d be cool to hear back from you cos I’ve got no idea what you’re up to these days. I’m still painting, but I’ve got an office job on the side now, which sucks. “Frankly Mr Shankly…”, and so on. I hope you’re well. I hope you're still having more fun in Dublin than you ever had in Glasgow. I hope we never meet again.

Love,
Dan

No comments: