Tuesday, 22 July 2008

Your History (with Extra Added Stereo Surround Sound)

Inspired by David Fiore, here's my list of favourite movies for each year I've been alive:


1982: Blade Runner
1983: Videodrome
1984: This Is... Spinal Tap/Nausicaa of the Vally of the Wind
1985: Brazil/After Hours
1986: Blue Velvet
1987: Robocop
1988: Akira
1989:
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
1990:
Rosencrantz And Guildenstern Are Dead
1991:
Barton Fink
1992:
Glengarry Glen Ross
1993:
Groundhog Day
1994:
Clerks/Pulp Fiction
1995:
Toy Story
1996:
Fargo
1997:
Princess Mononoke
1998:
The Big Lebowski/Dark City/Rushmore
1999:
The Iron Giant/Audition
2000:
Best In Show
2001:
Mulholland Drive
2002:
Punch-Drunk Love/28 Days Later
2003:
American Splendor
2004:
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind/MEAN GIRLS!!!!
2005:
Tideland/Dave Chappelle's Block Party
2006:
The Fountain
2007:
Hot Fuzz/Ratatouille
2008:
Iron Man (this will probably change before the year's out) The Dark Knight Wall-E

I'm much less sure of this than I was of my albums list... a mild gust of wind would probably leave this completely rearranged, but so it goes.

5 comments:

Anagramsci said...

I can only hope that something better than Iron Man comes along for both of us David--I mean, it was quite a decent film (much better than Dark Knight, in my opinion), but I like it much less than anything else on my list...


but YOUR list reminds me that I should really see The Fountain--something always prevents me from seeing it, somehow!

Dave

liamk said...

goodbye Iron Man, hello Kung Fu Panda!
(trust me...)

David said...

David -- I think I liked the Dark Knight more than Iron Man, but I'm not sure. One has charm, the other volume... one has Downey Jr, the other Ledger. This needs further consideration (from me!), but not too much...

Liam -- Kung-Fu Panda was ok, but it never really rose above its premise for me. Lots of boxes ticked, but not much else -- again, in my opinion.

I was so tempted to put No Country For Old Men in here, but that's technically a 2007 movie, which scuppers that plan.

Hmm -- I've got my eye on Wall-E at the moment... here's hoping it's as good as everyone says it is!

Nobody said...

A very smart list David, all excellent choices. I think Clerks and Pulp Fiction are the most overrated, but you make up for them with After Hours and the much-maligned Tideland (way better than Pan's Labyrinth IMO)! And it certainly is tough to pick a favorite from 1998.

David said...

I'd actually agree with you re: Clerks and Pulp fiction. I don't even think that Clerks is that good a movie on any objective scale, but both it and Pulp Fiction were very important to my high school years, so... yeah, they got the nod for that, basically.

And I know that Tideland got a beating when it came out, but I thought its excesses were perfectly in tune with the story it was trying to tell so... yeah, I loved it!