Friday, 13 June 2008

ATOMIC DEATH ENSUES!!!

And that's just the start of the story!

I am, of course, referring to The Apocalipstix, the upcoming Cameron Stewart/Ray Fawkes comic which looks like Josie & The Pussycats + Mad Max to the power of awesome!

Comic Book Resources have both a fifty page preview and an interview with the creators. Check em both out.

Also -- BOOM!


Just a little taste of the book for you. Looks good, doesn't it? It's interesting to me that there's this undercurrent of wrongness and horror to most the comics that Cameron Stewart's drawn so far in his career. Sin Titulo and The Other Side are all about that atmosphere, and in both cases there's a certain frisson to be derived from the sight of such graceful, cartoony artwork being applied to such dark purposes.

The more I think about it, though, the more this creepy, unnerving material seems less like the exception and more like the rule for Stewart. After all, his stint on Catwoman mixed joyous multi-pannel slug-fests with scenes of grizzly torture, and his collaborations with Grant Morrison have all been studies in tainted innocence.

The brilliant thing about The Apolcalypstix with regards to this schemata is that it looks to be the most straight-up fun work of Stewart's career, and yet it's set in a post-apocalyptic society! What the hell!

The most interesting part of that interview, for me? Definitely this bit from Cameron Stewart:

“When I started work on ‘The Apocalipstix’ original graphic novel, I decided that I was not going to be restricted by page count, I would just draw each scene as it felt natural for me to do and allow myself as many pages as I wanted to do it right. I found this really liberating and it enabled me to use double page splashes for effect far more frequently than I would have if I'd been stuck with only 22 pages for each chapter. This is a big, loud, pop story and I think it needed big, loud, pop panels.”

Then again, I'm totally hot for process, so what do I know?

No comments: