Monday, 14 April 2008

"He'll Be Trying To Shake Its Hand While It Gnaws Out His Intestines"


FINAL CRISIS #3
Written by Grant Morrison
Art and covers by J.G. Jones
Batman missing in action! Superman immobilized! Green Lantern on trial for his life!
A shadow is falling across Earth’s super heroes — and now it’s Wonder Woman’s turn to face the Evil Gods!
What bizarre warning from beyond awaits Frankenstein, The Question and the agents of S.H.A.D.E. in the shadows of the Dark Side Club? What grim fate lies in store for The Human Flame? What happens when the Anti-Life Equation hits the internet? Can the Fastest Men Alive outrun The Black Racer — Death himself? And who are the Justifiers?
The answers are all here as the unstoppable rise of evil continues in FINAL CRISIS #3 by Grant Morrison and J.G. Jones.
(From the DC's July Solicitations, courtesy of the Newsarama hype machine)

You know, I'm a fairly realistic guy, so I know that there's every chance that Final Crisis could suck, badly. I'm as bored by the constant epic crossover cycle as everyone else, but hey -- I like Grant Morrison, I like J.G. Jones, I like the Kirby Fourth World stuff and I have no problem seeing how all of these elements could come together, so maybe it'll be good.

The constant "the day evil wins"/"now this is darkcore" hype... well, I get how that could be tiring, but in the end it just really just makes me hope that Final Crisis hits like a more coherent version of Morrison's 'World War III' story from JLA. With better art, thank god, with better art.

Because 'World War III'? Shit, it's all over the place in terms of basic storytelling, but I'm not ashamed to say that it kills me every time. Just the ridiculous scope of the piece, with all those preternaturally well-intentioned characters getting ground into the dirt by this huge cosmic menace, only to be saved by the kind of preposterous mass uprising that only comics can provide? That story gets at all these really basic emotions in a way that's fun and unusual, and that's what I'm all about. Well, that and good art, so yeah... here's hoping that Final Crisis doesn't suck.

Uhm... I've got a couple of reviews in the works... one for Ganges #2, one for The Dial and Other Stories by Chris Reynolds, plus a few more that are coming together kinda slowly, so if you're looking for some slightly more analytical writing here, check back during the course of the week.

And now, rock music:



No comments: