Friday, 5 October 2007

Stay Forever


Inspired by my recent visit to the Kylie exhibition, I've decided to repost what I wrote about 'I Just Can't Get You Out Of Me Head' (aka the second best Kylie song ever), back nearer the time it came out:
"A lot of people I know seem to think that I'm being ironic when I go on about how good this song is, but they are utterly, utterly mad, because it really is brilliant; a towering slice of immaculate disco, sexy as all hell and yet run through with a weird, obsessive sadness.
It's definitely one of my favourite pop songs from the last couple of years. Hell, it's probably one of my favourite pop songs of all time. There's something about the almost flawless, robotic sound of the whole thing -- it's really shiny and fun, sure, but it's also a little bit sad in a way. Maybe it's just me, I don't know, but I think it adds something to lyrics: it gives them a kind of hollowness, a lack of fulfillment that is oddly fitting...
There's a dark secret in me
Don't leave me locked in your heart
Set me free
Feel the need in me
Set me free
Stay forever and ever and ever and ever
Brrr -- is it just me, or is there a chill in here!"
Don't worry comics fans -- I'm working on a post about Finder at the moment, and I've got a couple of big posts about Eddie Campbell, Grant Morrison and superhero comics coming up soon.

5 comments:

sean witzke said...

Have you read Words and Music?
http://www.amazon.com/Words-Music-History-Shape-City/dp/0820327050/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-3052723-2968927?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191597412&sr=1-1

David said...

No, but I was looking at it in the bookstore the other day. Have you read it? If so, would you recommend it?

I'm unsure about Paul Morely in general -- he's obviously a sharp guy and a good writer, but some of his more recent articles have had a bit too much of the grumpy old man in them for my liking.

That said, the premise for Words and Music does intrigue me, so... yeah. Recommended?

sean witzke said...

Highly recommended. The thing is, I never read many of his articles previous, I just heard the segments he read over Strictly Kev's "Raiding the 20th Century Redux" and got hooked.

The grumpy old man really only creeps in around the edges in the book, but nothing that bothered me. Mostly it's his love of pop thats running through it, shot through with righteous anger when he talks about say, Moby.

David said...

Righteous anger at Moby is always welcome round my way -- he's an easy target, sure, but he's still fair game for all that.

I'll give the book a go next time I need something new to read.

Thanks for the recommendation!

sean witzke said...

No, more of the righteous anger that Moby's greatest success was on the backs of public domain soul and spiritual music. Easy target sure, but that's pretty close to pure evil in my book. And yeah, hope you enjoy it.