I feel the carousel starting slowly
And going faster and faster: desk, papers, books,
Photographs of friends, the window and the trees
Merging in one neutral band that surrounds
Me on all sides, everywhere I look.
And I cannot explain the action of leveling,
Why it should all boil down to one
Uniform substance, a magma of interiors.
My guide in these matters is your self,
Firm, oblique, accepting everything with the same
Wraith of a smile, and as time speeds up so that it is soon
Much later, I can know only the straight way out,
The distance between us. Long ago
The strewn evidence meant something,
The small accidents and pleasures
Of the day as it moved gracelessly on,
A housewife doing chores. Impossible now
To restore those properties in the silver blur that is
The record of what you accomplished by sitting down
"With great art to copy all that you saw in the glass"
So as to perfect and rule out the extraneous
Forever. In the circle of your intentions certain spars
Remain that perpetuate the enchantment of self with self:
Eyebeams, muslin, coral. It doesn't matter
Because these are things as they are today
Before one's shadow ever grew
Out of the field into thoughts of tomorrow.
Sunday, 30 September 2007
From 'Self-Portrait in a Convex Mirror', by John Ashberry (Commonplacebook)
- ► 2009 (71)
- ► 2008 (102)
- Different Versions
- From 'Self-Portrait in a Convex Mirror', by John A...
- No Part is Saved
- Amerie -- 'Gotta Work'
- Wallace Stevens -- The Snow Man (Commonplacebook)
- Flowers in a Foreground
- Geoff Klock/Casanova: A Visible Core
- Roland Furious -- The Fifth Cant, by John Stewart ...
- More Shrigley
- Girls Aloud – ‘Sexy! No No No…’
- Passive Linkage
- Homework (A Follow-Up Post)
- 'He's Got The Whole World In His Hands', Spandex R...
- A Vibrational Mismatch?
- Dennis Potter on Looking Back (Commonplacebook)
- Pretty Vacant
- Scout Niblett -- 'Dinosaur Egg'
- Avast Ye Scabless Dogs!
- sulcso in MAdA/maDa IN SULCSO
- From Brendan McCarthy's Solo #12 (Commonplacebook)...
- Genre Ain't No Four Letter Word
- Building Steam With a Grain of Salt
- From Personism: A Manifesto, by Frank O'Hara (Comm...
- Towards a Semiotics of Fizzy Drink Advertising
- A Footnote -- From the Archives
- Open Roads (Punk Rock Version)
- Grant Morrison's Animal Man -- From the Archives
- Short and to the Pointless
- Life in the Special Orders Department
- Mission Statement
- And So We Return And Begin Again...
- ▼ September (31)